Beyond Building

MOLD – Spread the Facts

Mold Example
Image from

Mold is all around us. It grows in nature, so it often ends up on the exterior of our home and in our basement if the conditions are right. It can thrive in your soil and blacken your brick. While that doesn’t bother us much, the issues arise when it finds its way inside our homes. From our sink drains, to the shower grout, and items like kitchen sponges, mold can thrive indoors as well. A little isn’t much to worry about, as long as you treat it promptly to keep it from spreading. No matter the amount, you should always wear a mask and rubber gloves, making sure that the area is well-ventilated to prevent causing any illness, including allergies or asthma.

Image from


While we are told repeatedly that black mold, or Stachybotrys chartarum, is to be feared (which it should be), it is quite unusual among household molds. It requires constant moisture to survive. Black mold itself isn’t toxic, but produces mycotoxins which are what make it so dangerous. You shouldn’t worry too much about it unless you have a major leak, which should be your first concern. With that in mind, you need to get rid of mold if you can see it. There is really no acceptable amount and even tiny amounts can cause allergic reactions. Get it taken care of, ASAP!

Image from


The best way to prevent mold is to not allow it to get the moisture it needs. Make sure any spots in your house that regularly see moisture (like your shower) are dry and ventilated when not being used. Keep drains unclogged and keep bleach on hand to mix with water to treat any mold that may start to grow. If you find mold on soft or porous items, like furniture or carpet, it is best to get rid of the affected portion before it has the opportunity to spread. If you have flood-related mold, it is time to call in the professionals.

When emergencies happen in our community, our Restoration Department can be there in moment’s notice. Check out our Facebook page to see some of the restoration work we have already done. Give us a call at 509.386.5397 if you experience a mold, water, fire or smoke emergency.


We can’t wait to help you with all of your construction and home remodel needs. Call us today!